POSITION POSTING: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Neighborhood Housing Services of Birmingham (NHSB) has a rich 40 year history of fulfilling the housing needs of low-to-moderate income families in the Birmingham metropolitan area. NHSB is a leader in the provision of homebuyer and financial education, credit counseling, and foreclosure prevention counseling and is the stateís only NeighborWorks America certified Homeownership Center. Additionally, the organization has recently grown its services in multi-family and single family housing development. The need for NHSBís services has never been greater due to the sustained economic and housing crisis. For more information, please visit www.nhsbham.org.
NHSBís new Executive Director will build upon the strong foundation that has been built over the past five years by the prior Director, the staff and the Board. NHSB is a small organization that is well situated for growth, with established funding relationships, opportunities for earned income, high service demand, sound internal procedures and a dedicated staff and Board. The new Executive Director will be expected to implement the organizationís strategic plan and take the organization to the next level of impact. It is expected that the Executive Director will: expand the geographic reach of the Homeownership Center; establish strong systems and practices for the growing housing development program; lay the groundwork for the launch of lending services; and continue to integrate community building practices throughout NHSBís business areas.
- Provide vision and strategic leadership. Give direction to the formulation of and leadership to the achievement of the organizationís philosophy, mission and strategy and to its annual objectives and goals.
- Support sound governance. Assist the chair of the Board in fulfilling its governance function and facilitating optimum interaction between management and the Board of Directors. This will include ensuring the Board is well informed, advising on agenda development and supporting effective use of Board committees.
- Be responsible for the organizationís consistent adherence to, and achievement of, its mission.
- Lead the development and implementation of an annual business plan and long-term strategic plans.
- Provide proactive, entrepreneurial leadership to identifying and exploring opportunities to collaboratively or unilaterally expand services that advance the mission and strategic goals of NHSB.
- Develop with the Board an annual fund development plan and long-term goals with specific fee income and fund-raising goals and take lead responsibility for achieving same. Participate in fundraising activities, including, but not limited to: organizing fund raising events, grant writing, corporate and individual solicitations.
- Build a strong staff team, cultivating leaders and providing effective management. Maintain a climate that attracts, keeps and motivates top quality people Ė both professionals and volunteers.
- Provide strong fiscal management. Develop an annual budget and establish and monitor the use of an appropriate bookkeeping system, internal financial controls, and other financial management procedures. Review and provide monthly and annual financial status reports to the Board. Ensure compliance with all contracts and funding agreements.
- Serve as the chief spokesperson for the organization, proactively working to raise the visibility of the organization. Develop strong relationships with existing and new funders and stakeholders.
The ideal candidate is an enterprising nonprofit leader who enjoys growing organizations and programs. The ideal candidate will have:
- A passion for the mission of NHSB and a commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Experience in affordable housing development, especially single family and small multi-family properties.
- Understanding of community building and homebuyer education.
- Proven competency in relationship building and fundraising.
- Strong competencies in non-profit financial management, and in particular in real estate finance.
- Demonstrated success in developing and working with a non-profit Board of Directors.
- Experience managing multiple demands from a variety of constituents.
- Successful management and human resources experience.
- Capacity for strategic planning and implementing methods and procedures for carrying out strategic plans.
The Executive Director reports to, and is supported by, a well-established, diverse, engaged Board of Directors. The Executive Director manages a committed, high capacity staff team of six, with plans in place for future growth to match programmatic growth.
For potential consideration for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to Jan Hofman of the NHSB Board of Directors at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for submission is May 13, 2013.